An End To My Lazy Ways of Boiling Water

Image: NY Times

In tandem with my almost daily attempts to get a buzz off the dinner-making rush by starting too late and making a huge mess in my wake, I have various tactics which ensure this process goes smoothly.

One in particular, obvious to most, but one that always makes me feel Very Clever as the dinner clock ticks, is my habit of filling pots with hot tap water before putting it on to boil--saving me a crucial 4 minutes.

Well, the good news is I now have an excuse for why I fall short in so many areas of my life. I have been made stupid by drinking hot tap water. I can only assume this is the same reason my children think skateboarding down the slide is a good idea.

No more drinking hot tap water, ladies, the scientists say so:

Never Drink Hot Water From the Tap

3 comments:

dietcokegrrl said...

I always use cold water when boiling water just because I remember my mom always telling me to. At least now I have a reason for it besides my mom told me so.

I'll have to tell her that she was right...although I'm sure she already knows that!

Unknown said...

eeewwwww.... well MY mom said hot water from the tap came from the hot water heater and was ucky... so we never drank from the tap..

love the mirowave.. heats it up fast... then I can put it on the stove if needs be..

nancy

Anonymous said...

so glad i got this electric kettle a few years ago ... boils water in a minute & enough for a pot of pasta! thanks for sharing the warning!